Use these helpful hints to keep your window coverings looking like new! Hunter Douglas provides the following tips to extend the life of your window coverings with these care and cleaning helpful hints.
ALTERNATIVE WOOD OR VINYL PRODUCTS
• To reduce static cling and help repel dust, wipe the product with dryer sheets.
• Do not use abrasive cleaners or chemical solvents, as they will scratch or damage the surface.
• Allow EverWood® Collection and First Edition™ blinds to air dry to preserve the dust repellent properties of the slats.
• Clean Palm Beach™ polysatin shutters with mild soap and water. Do not use ammonia-based products.
• Clean using a dry, soft feather duster, clean cloth, dust cloth or dusting mitt. A vacuum with a soft brush attachment can also be used.
• Ultrasonic cleaning or use of chemical solvents and scrubbing cleansers are not recommended. They will damage the product.
• Protect all fine wood products from exposure to steam, high moisture areas, rain or sprinkler systems to ensure their long life.
• When cleaning any window, spray glass cleaner on a cloth rather than spraying directly on the window. This will prevent damage to the wood finish by splattering cleaner.
• Spot-cleaning with fabric cleaning wipes found at your grocery store is recommended for all tapes. These will typically not leave a stain or discolor the tapes. We suggest a cleaning test on the underneath side of the blind where the tape wraps around the bottom rail where any stain would be the least visible.
• 100% polyester tapes can be spot-cleaned with cool distilled water using a clean white cloth. Support the tape from behind using another clean cloth that is dry. Use a gentle blotting action to clean the spot or soiled area. Rinse by blotting with clean distilled water. Let air dry. A gentle detergent can also be used on the 100% polyester trims. Spot-cleaning may result in cleaner areas.
• If the tape is shiny or has a luster, do not use water. The tape is most likely rayon or acetate. The result will be a water stain. Wipes are the best for all fiber contents.
FABRIC SHADES, SHADINGS OR WINDOW PANELS
• Do not use magnetic cleaners such as a dusting mitt on light-dimming fabrics. This will damage the light-dimming backing.
• When cleaning any window, spray glass cleaner on a cloth rather than spraying directly on the window. This will prevent damage to the fabrics by splattering cleaner.
Blind Installation and Repair is ready make any repairs beyond these care and cleaning helpful hints, as well as provide support for installation and adjustments to your blinds. Contact the experts at Blind Installation and Repair. We’d be happy to help!